Home Forums Advocacy Online reporting of traffic complaints to WRPS now available

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Mathew Gallagher 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Keith Peck
    Participant

Waterloo Region Police Services has updated their website to allow on-line reporting of traffic complaints:

https://forms.wrps.on.ca/Traffic-Complaint

In case they move the form you can reach it by going to the WRPS website:
    https://www.wrps.on.ca/en/index.aspx

Mouse over “Services & Reporting”, then select “Traffic Complaint” from the pop-down menu (far right of list.)

I filed 2 for today; (#1) driver reading a document while driving (8.5 x 11″ bunch of papers apporx. 10-20 sheets stapled in upper-left corner) held in right hand beside steering wheel while the driver had head tilted slightly down and to the right; (#2) the so frequent that it is frustrating… driver with right turn signal driving in and obstructing the bike lane in advance of an intersection without a right turn lane for vehicles.

The person driving (and stopping) in the bike lane is someone I have met who works for the same employer as me.

Sad that so many drivers haven’t got a clue that they are driving dangerously, or in a way that is more likely to cause an accident for other road users.

For anyone who doesn’t appreciate it, not only is driving in a bike lane illegal, a vehicle pulled into the bike lane reduces the rear-view mirror line of sight for all vehicles ahead that are in a proper position in the vehicle lane. The other drivers have less time to notice a cyclist and then more likely to make a bad decision due to the greatly reduced reaction time available.

A rider at 30km/h will take 120 seconds to travel 1km, or 12 seconds per 100m.

Unless there are conditions of poor visibility I would expect most drivers to be able to recognize an object like a cyclist a minimum of 50 meters in the passenger rear-view mirror giving a window of up to 6 seconds to look, observe and hopefully estimate with some accuracy whether or not it is safe to turn.

A vehicle in the bike lane obstructing the view of motorists ahead would be anywhere as close as the first car in line behind (about 5m, or 12s/20 = 0.6s) – giving a fraction of a second for a driver to react.

Common driving skills like holding a lane, signalling turns or lane changes in advance, maintaining a safe stopping distance to the vehicle ahead of you are important.

I blame the spate accidents on the 400 series highways on the deteriorating driver skills of all drivers. It isn’t just a few truckers who are causing the increased number of accidents. But it is the greater damage and higher number of fatalities done by a large vehicle being involved in an accident that grabs the media’s and people’s attention.

Rule-breaking is so commonplace that it is currently the norm and a truly ‘safe’ driver gets honked at for holding up traffic.

I will feel safer when driver-less cars start to (a) set a better example and (b) when there get to be so many video cameras on the roads that drivers who break the rules will be easily identifiable.

Bad drivers will be forced them to change their behavior or get dinged with increased insurance rates when big data companies find ways to crunch the video and GPS data.

The government is unlikely to be able to pass legislation to deny a driver’s license to dangerous drivers.

But insurance companies WILL find ways to prevent dangerous drivers from obtaining insurance to legally operate a motor vehicle, making their purchase of a driverless vehicle a necessity to have private motorized transportation.

Mathew Gallagher
    Participant

I like what you are saying Keith but I have a question. When the bike lane turns from a solid line to a dotted line and cars are moving into the bike lane to turn right, that is proper etiquette?

tcauduro
    Keymaster

The dashed lines are in fact meant for cars to ‘take the lane’ to prevent cyclists from riding up beside them and having the car turn into them. You’re still a vehicle when you’re on the road and rules still apply, it’s no skin off my back to wait the extra few seconds behind a car turning, or ride around it…

See the top right corner of page 2:
    https://www1.toronto.ca/City%20Of%20Toronto/Transportation%20Services/Cycling/Article/Understanding_bike_lanes_FINALweb.pdf

Mathew Gallagher
    Participant

Thank you for the confirmation as this is how I understood it. As much to protect the cyclist and to protect the driver in stop and go traffic from turning into bicycle traffic travelling at a much greater speed.

Can never know to much.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.