Home Forums Rides Intermediate Road Ride, Thursday 13th of April

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  gdmalet 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

gdmalet
    Participant

Time to get this show on the road again, after the one week delay caused by snow (!) last week.

The first ride of the season, and we only have about 1.5 hours before sunset, so the ride needs to be relatively short. I was thinking of this:

https://www.strava.com/activities/566891483

Even with only 51km, it will be gloomy at the end, so bring your lights.

April is in North Carolina, and this is my first time on a road bike this year, so I don’t anticipate the pace will be too hectic!

We are the intermediate part of the Thursday Group Road Ride. You must be a member to join us, or you can sign a waiver for one try-a-ride.

Giles & April

gdmalet
    Participant

Five hardy souls were in my group, and I guess around fifteen in the other — where were you all? At least for my group you missed a gentle introduction to the season, prompted by some of us perhaps not being in quite the shape we hope to be soon. As a bonus, the fast guys passed us at the end of Middlebrook, so we let them tow us home, as I think they’d tired themselves out by then. Thanks folks!

Very little wind, and the sky cleared just before sunset, so it was quite pleasant. My toes were starting to complain in my summer shoes as the temperature dropped, but it was nothing too severe. Another fine evening ride.

Route was as advertised: https://www.strava.com/activities/941057627

And they still haven’t fixed the potholes on 8th Line.

g

gdmalet
    Participant

I forgot to add, we only had one moron objecting to us being on his road, and he missed us anyway….. https://youtu.be/2X1CFcqCSDg

Mel
    Participant

This is one reason my wife worries about me riding. Although I’m prominent in the video, I dare not show it to her. I replayed that video several times, but couldn’t catch the license plate. That guy was behaving dangerously. Driving a motor vehicle is not a right – it’s a privilege.

francqlife

Those cameras are worth their weight in gold.

Could have used one on Tuesday.

A.

gdmalet
    Participant

I couldn’t quite catch the license plate either. Perhaps if I knew how to use my software better I could do a better job of it.

If Mel or anyone else in the video is not comfortable with it being displayed please tell me, and I’ll remove it. It’s very unlikely anyone will stumble across it though, so I thought I’d post it.

Thanks,
    g

Mel
    Participant

Actually, I’m very comfortable with posting the video – thank you for doing that.

I just meant that bad drivers like that cause our families to worry about us.

Doc
    Participant

If the police were shown the video maybe they could check the area out, the same road and time of day. The vehicle is pretty recognizable and a good chance it travels that road often. Just a thought? This was unacceptable.

Krakus
    Participant

Just curious, what cameras do you have mounted on your bike? I’d be interested in mounting one or two for safety, as well, and I’d want to be able to reliably read plates, if needed.

gdmalet
    Participant

@krakus My cameras are the Fly 12 and Fly 6 from https://cycliq.com/ . They’re crazy expensive once you have them shipped to Canada, but I went with them in the end as I couldn’t find anything comparable, and another fellow in the club is happy with his ’12.

Of importance is enough battery life to last a ride, and that excludes *many* of the popular cameras. Also, combining it with a light means you have one less device mounted on the bike. The front mount is compatible with GoPro (who I avoid because of their marketing & the antics of their lawyers with regards to any semblance of competition), which means you have lots of options for other mounts. Rear is a couple of rubber bands, which work fine.

The front camera is high enough resolution to catch number plates usually. Rear is lower resolution, but could catch them too. The thing to avoid is translating through multiple video formats, losing quality at each step, to end up with a YouTube video 🙂

I do worry a bit someone might not like me filming a ride, so I want people to know this is happening. In some countries it would be illegal to film people in such a situation without first getting their consent. But this is becoming more common: we had a second front camera on our ride, but the batteries ended up being dead.

g

Krakus
    Participant

Thank you for the info. For the rear, I’m going to go with the Fly6. As you said, there’s nothing else on the market like it, although in 2017 I wish it was 1080p, not just 720p. $200 on Amazon with the latest improved battery. The quality of the YouTube videos I’ve seen are a mixed bag, but it could be due to the compression you mentioned. I’m surprised that Garmin hasn’t put a camera on their Varia radar yet.

For the front, I already have a nice Bontrager light with the same lumens, and $500 for the Fly12 is steep. I’d consider it if I had no light. So I went with the Garmin Virb Elite, which is an older model now but is 1080p, apparently has a good (maybe up to 3 hour) battery life, records sensor data, has an altimeter, and integrates with the Garmin Edge. The Virb is now only $165 on Amazon. The mount is extra.

We’ll see how good this stuff is when it arrives. I’ve wanted to get it for a while, especially after witnessing a bike & car crash right in front of me last year, and hearing different accounts afterwards.

danewton
    Participant

I checked my camera and it lasted a whole 9min into the ride. I will have it charged up for future rides though or at least throw my battery pack in with my cycling gear in the car.
    I don’t think my fiance would be too happy if something happened and I didn’t get it on camera…especially after she bought me the camera as a birthday present this year.

bdoberst
    Participant

Another aspect to getting clear images is reducing road vibration. I saw an improvement in image quality going from a standard plastic GoPro mount to a K-edge aluminum mount.

Also, Factory Direct currently has cheap Ion action cameras – I have no idea of their quality but it could be a good commuter camera for some people: http://www.factorydirect.ca/Canada-/Digital_Photography___Video/Action_Cameras/buy/IO1011/1011W_Ion_Air_Pro_Lite_1080P_Hd_Action_Camera_W_Wifi_811233021157/0

gdmalet
    Participant

Regarding vibration, YouTube (and Google etc.) can do post processing to improve image stabilisation, but I suspect you’d get a cleaner image without the vibration in the first place, as Brent says. But now I think of it, I don’t think I was offered the option of doing that for the above video. Maybe YouTube decided it was not necessary, of just did it or something. Anyhow, look for the option and try it out.

g

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.