Home Forums Rides Gravel Adventure for Saturday 12 Aug 2017

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  dawn2012 4 days, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

dawn2012
    Participant

This will be the last recreational ride of the summer. Expect pace to average around 20 kph and distance in the 70km range. There will be a bakery stop (a must have for me 🙂 )

A confirmation and a route will be posted on Friday. Weather currently looks to be mostly sunny and 23C but time will tell. Usual starting spot at St. Jacobs Market.

If you wanted to give the gravel a try, this is the time to do it!

This is an official Waterloo Cycling Club ride,

http://waterloocyclingclub.ca/cx/rides/saturday-adventure-ride

You must be a 2017 member of Waterloo Cycling Club. Register here:

http://waterloocyclingclub.ca/membership

See ya on Saturday!
    Dawn

Mieszko
    Participant

I’m looking forward for the ride. See you then Dawn!

dawn2012
    Participant

Okay all. Weather is not as nice as I would like but just means that the coffee will be extra nice at our bakery stop at ….
    Anna Mae’s

Proposed route: https://www.strava.com/routes/10098202

Just over 70km. So 3+ hours.

Please check back at 7:45 in case the weather worsens. I won’t start in the rain or if it is going to really rain. Forecast temperatures are cooler with West Wind 20k

I think the route works with the current wind direction.

See you at 8:30 tomorrow.

Dawn

pwa93
    Participant

I have never done this route or these roads. Recommended tire size and tread?

Thanks

bill2012
    Participant

Generally any CX tire would be fine. A file pattern with some small side knobs would be great. A little more tread would be fine as well. This route has some some pavement, with lots of gravel and rail trail.

The gravel was well packed the last time I was out there, but it has been a couple weeks. If the gravel has been graded recently it takes a couple of weeks to pack down again in which case a wider tire would be nice. The risk of grading is low, but is something to keep in mind.

There are a few concessions of rail trail that don’t have the rock chip yet and are a bit rougher. The rest is in great shape.

30mm should be sufficient. Most use 32-34mm. My favourite gravel tire is 35mm. It is your choice as to whether you would prefer less rolling resistance or more comfort.

bill2012
    Participant

Lots of threatening clouds today,

Rec Gravel Adventure avoided most of the showers on a nice tour to Anna Mae''s

but most of the showers stayed away. Thanks Dawn for leading! I know you worked hard on this ride. Some of us enjoyed a few extra breaks,

And the “nutrition break”,

Then onto the Kissing Bridge trail,

Riding through Waterloo region provides a lot of opportunities to step back in time. Here the historic train slides behind the the live snow fence that we will be appreciating in a few months,

There are a few more photos that you can explore in the Gravel Grinder album on Flickr by selecting the following image,

bill2012
    Participant

I added photos from Brian to the album including,

BrianL-GravelAdventure-20170812-06

BrianL-GravelAdventure-20170812-02

dawn2012
    Participant

Thanks to the gentlemen of leisure (Rene, Joel, Bill, Mieszko, Felipe, and Brian) for joining me on the ride on Saturday and slowing down to accommodate my pace! Only a few sprinkles in Elmira – we seemed to be chasing the clouds as the ground was wet where we went. It was a good day to be out riding! (And eating butter tarts 😉 – mmmm mmmmm gotta love Anna Mae’s )

It is interesting how not that long ago, I said “Only in Elmira – so far to go!” Now I see the 4.5K to Elmira sign on the trail, and say “Hey, we are almost home.”
    70 k is not easy for me (I may have been the only one to get a real work out), but it is not as daunting as it used to be.

Though this was technically the last Saturday recreational ride, good weather may encourage me to do more through September though they will be shorter outings. Keep an eye the forum!

🙂
    Dawn

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.