Home Forums Rides Beer, Bikes and Breweries, Round 3

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  bdoberst 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

bdoberst
    Participant

Once again my Kate’s Kause Cycling Team has put together a fund-raising tour of 3 local breweries. Leaving from Block 3 Brewing Company in St. Jacobs at 10:00am on Sunday September 24th we will ride a 75km route with stops along the way at Wellington Brewery, Elora Brewing Company and end our ride back at Block 3.

For a minimum $40 donation riders will receive:

-A 75km group ride around the region to visit 3 local breweries
    -A complimentary tasting at each of the breweries
    -A mid-ride aid station
    -Chance to win great prizes
    -Most importantly, a sag-wagon to pick up, carry and deliver any products you choose to purchase along the way (one riders last year spent almost $200 on product and was very happy not to carry that on her bike).

We are going to limit the ride to just 50 riders this year so if you are interested in joining us for this fund-raiser please check out all the details here:

http://kateskausecycling.weebly.com/

If you have any questions or want to register feel free to contact me cycling[at]kateskause.com

NOTE: This is a non-WCC ride so everyone and anyone is welcome to join
    NOTE: posted on behalf of Kate’s Kause

BBB3

jmeissner
    Participant

Thanks Brent!!

jmeissner
    Participant

We already have a number of people that have signed up for this ride on Sunday but still have space available for the ride. This is a no-drop ride but usually will split into a couple of groups depending upon pace.

Hope to see some fellow WCC riders out!

Joe

bdoberst
    Participant

Just donated/sign up…

jmeissner
    Participant

High of 31 for Sunday – It doesn’t get much better than that!

I have had a few questions about expected pace for our group since I think one person’s definition of a leisurely ride may be very different from another. Although, I have not finalized the exact route yet (construction detours are plentiful) the distance between each brewery will be approximately 25km and I have allocated roughly an hour to get from one brewery to the next. This would mean that the group will average roughly 25km/h. With a group this big there it is likely that the group will break up into some smaller groups travelling a bit faster (or depends who shows up it could be a lot faster) but there will always be someone that knows the route in each group that will stop and regroup at stop signs or turning points so as no rider is to be left behind. We will also have a vehicle following the group during the day and can always be contacted if you need any assistance throughout the day (mechanical, lost, etc.).

Hope to see a number of fellow WCC riders out!

jmeissner
    Participant

Tomorrow is shaping up to be a great event! We have 23 riders registered (so space is still available) and the weather should be absolutely perfect for a leisurely ride to a bunch of local breweries. Keep in mind that it is going to be hot so we have stocked two coolers and food ready to go to keep our riders fuelled throughout the day.

This morning I went out and scouted the route and was a little disappointed that the construction in Conestogo is still underway. There is a brief section (roughly 500m) of hard packed dirt that we will need to ride through. The alternative would be a 10km detour, which at 75km in the middle of the hottest day of the year, would not be great. If the consensus is that our riders would prefer the detour we can alter the route tomorrow but for now I think it would be best to hit the dirt (we have all ridden on paved roads that in worse shape than this section of road). Here is the route that I have planned for us:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25527589

I will have printouts of the route available for everyone tomorrow that they can take with them. Please remember that our ride is simply just a group ride and there will be no route markings or marshals along the way. We have a follow car that will be with us the whole day and their contact information will be on your route sheets. We will try to stay together as a group as best we can but a group of this size will often break into a couple of smaller groups. There will always be someone in the group that will know the route and no rider will be left behind.

Lastly, the ride leaves Block 3 at 10am so please show up at least a few minutes early to get organized and sign waivers so we can head out right at 10am.

Joe

bdoberst
    Participant

Hi Joe – so anyone who wants to do a last minute sign up tonight should visit the ‘donate’ page to make the minimum $40 donation?

http://kateskausecycling.weebly.com/

jmeissner
    Participant

Definitely! Or we would be happy to take cash tomorrow morning at Block 3. Just shoot me an email or post here.

Joe

bdoberst
    Participant

Just finished the “Beer, Bikes and Breweries” ride in sauna-like temperatures. Great organization and support, and of course the craft breweries in Guelph, Elora and St. Jacobs were a highlight, both for their beer and their air conditioning!

If anyone would still like to get a charitable tax receipt for 2017, the donation website is still up and running. I have a 4-pack of Block 3 beer (two 500ml bottles of Brett Pale Ale and two 500ml bottles of Blocktoberfest Marzen Lager) that I’ll give to the next person who donates $100 or more to Kate’s Kause. What could be better than both a tax deduction AND free beer?

Donate here: http://kateskausecycling.weebly.com/ Shoot me an email (bdoberst(at)uwaterloo.ca) once you’ve donated and I’ll arrange getting the beer to you.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.